The wharf itself was built in 1907 to meet the burgeoning growth of the Port of Wellington. In 1964 it found a new purpose when the Overseas Passenger Terminal was added for visiting cruise ships.
The wharf - which extends out from the harbour-edge promenade - in combination with the long, low
nautically-themed Overseas Passenger Terminal, has become one of Wellington’s most prominent landmarks.
The redevelopment of this special site has included the retention of a number of key heritage features, most notably the spire, which now sits proudly atop the new wharf building.